At Dunlop, we're always happy to assist you with any queries you may have. In order to make life easier, we've thought ahead and provided the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the purchase of carpet cushion.
Why use Carpet Cushion?
- Although often seen as an unnecessary purchase, carpet cushion is a vital component when installing new carpet. As outlined below, having underlay can extend the life of, and create a vast difference in your overall flooring solution.
- Improves Acoustic Insulation: Installing carpet cushion not only reduces sound in the room itself but also reduces the transference of sound to rooms that may be below.
- Improves Thermal Insulation: Carpet cushion provides an additional layer of insulation which decreases heat lost through floorboards, and also reduces the incidence of under floor draughts. Not only does this create a warmer internal environment but also helps to reduce energy bills during winter climates.
- Improves Comfort: Carpet cushion significantly increases the level of comfort underfoot, regardless of the quality and thickness of the carpet.
- Improves Appearance: Carpet cushion is designed to absorb impact and minimise furniture indentations reducing the wear and tear of carpet. This ensures carpet keeps its fresh new appearance for longer, and extends its overall lifespan.
- For more information on the benefits of carpet cushion, please visit the Carpet Cushion Council website here.
Is it okay to lay new carpet on my existing Carpet Cushion?
- Laying new carpet on existing carpet cushion is not recommended; doing so can reduce the life of your carpet and void the manufacturer's warranty. Using old underlay reduces the level of comfort and support underfoot, is less resilient and will have become flattened over time. It can also leave wear patterns from the previous carpet in high traffic areas. Furthermore the use of new carpet cushion when installing new carpet is also referenced as a requirement in accordance with the Australian/New Zealand textile floor coverings installation standard (AS/NZS2455.1.2007) and (AS4288:2003) Soft underlays for textile floor coverings).
Does the use of carpet cushion benefit those with asthma or allergies?
- Dunlop Flooring has a number of products available that are treated with HealthPlus and MicroFresh antimicrobial solutions. The addition of these solutions during manufacture helps to protect against mould, mildew, bacteria and dust mites - significant triggers for asthma and allergies.
Can comfort be achieved on a very tight budget?
- Dunlop Flooring has a wide range of affordable carpet cushion solutions that are suitable for those wanting maximum support on a very tight budget.
Can Dunlop carpet cushion help reduce noise?
- Yes, Dunlop carpet cushion improves acoustics by reducing noise transfer. Millions of tiny air pockets within the cushion help to trap and absorb sound, which reduce the impact of noise through ceiling and floors.
Is Dunlop Carpet Cushion environmentally friendly?
- Yes, Dunlop carpet cushion is manufactured from 90% recycled materials and is 100% recyclable. Dunlop carpet cushion is also accredited by the Carpet and Rug Institute’s Green Label program, which identifies products that promote superior indoor air quality.
Can Dunlop Carpet Cushion be used with underfloor heating?
- Yes carpet cushion can be used with underfloor heating however the temperature should not exceed 40°C. It is also important to remember that carpet cushion is very insulative so the thicker the product the less effective the underfloor heating will be. Our commercial product includes Pro-Tred Excellay 7mm which should be considered in this instance.